- Students will learn what municipalities and authorities are doing to make their cities more resilient to flooding.
- Students will learn the importance of flood risk management planning for their schools.
Length of Activity: 1 – 1.5 hour
Grade Level: 5 – 12
Preparing for Flood Resilience
Divide the class into groups and assign one of the following case studies to each group for review. (30 - 45 minutes)
- 1. City of Calgary Flood Resilience Plan https://www.calgary.ca/UEP/Water/Pages/Flood-Info/Mitigation-and-Resilience/Flood-projects.aspx
- 2. Kawartha Lakes Ontario Flood Emergency Planning https://www.kawarthalakes.ca/en/living-here/emergency-management.aspx?_mid_=23169
- 3. Toronto and Region Conservation Authority Flood Risk Management https://trca.ca/conservation/flood-risk-management/
After reading the articles, discuss in groups (30 - 45 minutes)
- Identify and share with the class the steps identified in the flood risk management plan of the case study you reviewed.
- After all groups have presented the steps identified, together as a class map the common steps included in the three examples presented.
- Does your school have a flood risk management plan? If not, do you think your school should have a flood risk management plan – why or why not?
- Do you have enough information to answer the question above? If not, what may help in answering the question above? Who could you contact for more information?