- Students will learn about how climate change has increased the frequency of floods and its impacts
Length of Activity: 1 – 1.5 hours
Grade Level: 5 – 12
Flooding and Climate Change
Begin by watching the following documentary on how climate change has increased flooding events: (60 minutes)
For more background resources on learning about climate change, its impacts and the policy solutions to address it, check out GreenLearning’s program, Decoding Carbon: A Climate Policy Quest, linked below:
In particular, the following activities in the Decoding Carbon program are recommended:
- Activity: Global impacts of climate change (2 – 2.5 hours)
- Activity: How is climate change shaping this world? (1 – 1.5 hours)
After watching the documentary, discuss in groups (20 minutes):
- Has climate change increased flooding in Canada?
- Which cities in Canada are most prone to flooding?
- Should flooding be addressed in climate change planning?
Additional resources on how climate change effects flooding: