- Students will learn about the importance of creating awareness around the risks of flooding and how to best prepare for them.
Length of Activity: 1 – 1.5 hour
Grade Level: 5 – 12
Flood Risk Management Awareness
Assign the following two articles to your class for reading to learn about previous flood events in Canada and flood risk management awareness for Canadians. (20 minutes)
After reading the articles, split the class into groups and discuss the following questions. Share discussion outcomes with the entire class (10 minutes)
- Why should Canadians be concerned about floods?
- Brainstorm the different effects of flooding on communities (i.e. financial costs, tourism, homes, animal habitats, species, plants, insurance premiums, etc.)
Flood awareness is an important part of flood risk management. In groups, create a flood awareness poster. The poster should include the following (30 – 45 minutes)
- At least three facts about flooding
- At least three graphics or photographs (remember to give proper credit to the source!)
- At least five different ways to prepare for a flood